Today is April 1st, but this blog is not an April Fool’s Joke
An Amazon Author Page is an efficient tool to promote your books.
April 1 is the first day of the #AtoZChallenge. If you don’t know, the #AtoZChallenge is a blogging challenge that takes place in April (except on Sundays). Participants blog every day around a theme of their choosing, in alphabetical order. For example, on the 1st, they blog about something “A” related. On the 3rd (the 2nd is a Sunday), they blog about something “B”, etc. Throughout the month of April, I’ll share tips, links, and insights I’ve learned in my writing career.
For today’s #AtoZChallenge the letter “A” is for Amazon Author Page.
One of the easiest, most effective tool you can use to market your book(s) and promote yourself is by creating an Amazon Author Page. It’s a FREE and easy way to communicate with your readers. Not only can you list your book(s), but any upcoming events (booksignings, readings), images and videos, and book trailers. Plus, it will automatically import your blog. Win-win!
How to create your author page:
Once your book is published (or if it is in pre-order status), go to https://authorcentral.amazon.com. Sign up using your existing Amazon account information. Add the following:
- Professional author photo and biography
- Use a picture of you, not your dog or a sunset from your last vacation. Your readers want a connection, and a photo of a person brings them one step deeper into your world.
- Your bio should be centered around your professional accomplishments, not how you’ve been writing since third grade and how your family and friends love your writing. Remember, you’re showing your qualifications to your audience.
- Your books
- You can use Amazon’s ASIN number (similar to an ISBN) to add your book information.
- Your blog
- What a nice feature! Within 24 hours of posting your blog, Amazon’s bots will go out and fetch your post and display it on your author page.
- Do you have an upcoming booksigning? An author reading? This is the place to share.
- Photos and videos
- Not only can you share your author photo, but any images you’ve created for your story. Are you using a celebrity as an avatar for one of your characters? Post it here. Have you created a book trailer? Share it with your readers.
Other benefits of an Amazon Author Page:
Besides listing the above information, your Amazon Author Page works for you as well. Amazon is unparalleled in keeping track of information, which is to your advantage. They will list other authors your customers bought from (this is handy when you start to target your ideal reader). Sales rank and customer reviews are listed, so you can rejoice that your book is moving up in their ranking, and know when someone has reviewed your book.
Amazon will also issue you a URL for your author page, which you can use in promotion and social media. Here’s mine: amazon.com/author/www.cherylsterlingbooks.com
Look professional. Be smart. Create an Amazon Author Page. Let Amazon take over part of your marketing.
My next post will be about the letter “B”, another tool that can be used to increase followers on an unexpected social media venue.
See you on Monday, our “B” day!