I’m in day 24 of my 28 day writing challenge. I had planned to hit it yesterday, but lost my writing time on Friday. We were rear-ended (no one hurt) so my mind was less on writing and more on margaritas. It doesn’t matter, I wrote an awesome 5.5K words Saturday and Sunday and am at 29,547. It’s in sight, people.
Things I’ve learned:
- Turn off the TV and internet. I’ve written in the girl cave, Panera’s and my living room. Surprisingly, I squeezed the most production (1K in 1 hour) at Panera, where free wi-fi wasn’t available.
- Don’t erase or backspace if you think of something more clever. Type it, too. Word count is word count and that includes editorial comments.
- The internal editor is hard to kill, so I allow her <5 minutes a day, mostly by highlighting word wrap and graying out the least favorite of two phases.
- Sex is easy to write.
- Intimacy is hard to write.
- You can still read books at lunch and in the car, but not any other time.
Have you taken part in a writing marathon? What tips have you learned?by